Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Biltmore's Bread Pudding


While visiting the in-laws in NC, they took us to see the majestic Biltmore Mansion. What an amazing place this is. With grand rooms, amazing architecture and prestine gardens, this home, known as the largest single family dwelling in the US, is definately worth the visit. And you must be sure to visit the winery and Bistro, the food is amazing and the wine isn't half bad either (ha, like I have ever found a truly bad wine). While eating dinner in the Bistro, I was able to warm my tastebuds, on this delectable dessert. Once returning home, I saw the recipe for this little piece of heaven in my Taste Of Home magazine. I felt as if I held in my hands, some dirty little secret, I wasn't sure was ok to talk about. It is very easy to prepare and even easier to eat.


8 c cubes cubed day-old bread
9 eggs
2 ¼ c milk
1 ¾ c heavy cream
1 c sugar
¾ cup butter (melted)
3 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Caramel Sauce
1 c sugar
¼ c water
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp butter
1 c heavy whipping cream

Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9x2 baking dish. In a large bowl whisk eggs, milk, cream, sugar, butter, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour evenly over bread.

Bake uncovered at 350* for 40-45 min or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.

Meanwhile in a small saucepan, bring sugar, water and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until sugar is dissolved and mixtures turns a golden amber color. Stir in butter until melted. Add cream. Remove from heat and serve with bread pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment