Saturday, November 28, 2009

Real Green Bean Casserole


HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and is still full from all the good eats. And what holiday meal would be complete with out a green bean casserole. However I just can not bring myself to make the Campbell's version. I don't like, it is bland and boring. So I make my own. I know it looks like alot of ingredients and like alot of work, but trust me in this, it is alot easier than it appears, and the taste is soooo worth it.


1 1/2 lbs. fresh green beans (cleaned & cut)
1/2 c flour
1/2 c + 2 tbsp butter (melted) divided
2 cups swiss cheese (shredded)
2 cups sour cream
1/2 lbs white mushrooms (cleaned & sliced)
4 slices of bacon (cooked and crumbled)
1 shallot (finely chopped)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup French's Fried Onions
spray oil

In a small frying pan, add olive oil, and 2 tbsp butter. Once butter is melted, add mushrooms on med-high heat and cook until almost done (about 4-5 minutes). Then add the shallots and garlic. Good until tender (about 2-3 minutes). Set aside.

In a large sautee pan, melt remaining butter, slowly start adding flour, stirring constantly, until you develop as very thick roux. Add sour cream until completely blended. Then slowly add in the cheese, stirring contantly so it becomes completely melted and blended into sour cream mixture. Once the cheese is melted all of the other ingredients (except fried onions) one at a time, until everything is coated.

Use spray oil to coat a 2 qt casserole dish. Pour mixture into casserole dish, top with fried onions and back at 400* for 45 min.

1 comment:

  1. I can attest to this recipe. Used it last year and will use it once again this year :)

    ReplyDelete